Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Event - The Eleven Days of Doctor

Hello all! I know like myself, you are all anticipating the climatic return of Doctor Who in what will no doubt be an epic movie experience. Hopefully, the 50th Anniversary Special will air on BBC America. Whenever that will be, I hope to be ready.

Ready for what, you ask? Good question. As a fan of various franchises, I have often dressed as characters of shows, movies, books, etc... for fun and profit. Doctor Who cosplay appeals to me because some of them are easy to manage with patience and a few trips to Goodwill. I've recently finished what I believe to be an excellent 11th Doctor outfit. So, for a few, I can improvise and pull a few "close enoughs." However, in some cases (i.e. 5th, 6th, 7th) I just can't.

That's where you come in, kind reader. I will need help in two ways: (1) costuming: finding parts for the costumes has been a slow and mostly fruitless process. Sure, I've got a full 11th and a passable 10th, but what about the others? What about fancy 3rd? Stylish and best-dressed 6th? Goofy 4th? Spats and question-mark umbrellas don't grow on tomato vines, you see. So, dear reader, if you see or have something that might fit into a doctor outfit, let me know. I don't usually ask around for stuff, but I think this is important enough to warrant some sad-faced, sincere pleading. You may know of sources or uses of other materials of which I wouldn't necessarily think of doing/applying. (Insert speech about networking and the power of friendship here).

Anyway, there's the other area of help (2) companions. One feature of the programme is the varied number of travelers that accompanied the Doctor. Some were witty. Some were annoying. Some were mechanical talking dogs. All were an essential component of the Doctor's life. Who of you longs for the glory of playing one of the Doctor's valiant companions? Who will answer the call and be the Boy or Girl Who Helped out their Friend in His Quest to Play the Doctor? Who will ignore all the unintended title puns these questions raise? Remember friends: a companion in the TARDIS gets the worm!

Wait, no, that's not right. The early companion doesn't take any wooden nickles! Nope. All's well that is thicker than water! Ahem. Earth idioms aside, please keep this in mind for the upcoming semester. This way, if you want to participate (please please please!) you can contact me and begin searching for costume pieces (For convenience. Unless it was your childhood dream to play a particular companion, I'd rather get as many depicted as possible. And at least one per Doctor. No big deal, really!) With some help, I think we can make this happen.

Brave heart, dear reader.
Xander

No comments:

Post a Comment