Saturday, August 1, 2015

Gaming - Metal Gear Solid V: The Build-Up

At first, I was going to let myself make due with having played Metal Gear Solid and read about/seen the other titles in the franchise. After all, the game is set right after MGS 3, so I wouldn't be missing too much, right?

Snake/BB eats snakes and stops the bad guys.
That's it, right?
However, we went shopping at Mr. K's. Besides the book Moby Dick, (to possibly be addressed in another post) I quickly discovered that they had MGS 2 for $8. And later we found MGS 4 at GameStop for $4.99! So I showed them to Mother, and she insisted to get them for me. And when people offer free games, who am I to argue?

I had to decide: continue the (very early) save file on 3, or begin with the much-maligned, occasionally crazy 2.

This cover is a BIG. FAT. LIAR.
In the end, I opted for 2, because why not? I figured I could see Jamez's (my brother) reactions to stuff. Like how the box art and manual lied about the player character. Or the weird characters in the game. Or how Otacon isn't the next Mei Ling.

Naturally, I began at very easy. I'm in the game to have fun and see the over-the-top story, so there's no need to try to prove myself or anything. Big Boss, I am not.

I must not despise the game myself, since my first play session lasted a little over 5 hours. Jamez was there for most of it too, so it was also bonding time! Yay!

My first impression is that there's not as much fun dialogue or voice acting. Sure, the Tanker mission lets you tease Otacon by taking *certain* pictures and has Kevin Michael Richardson (aka Bulkhead from Transformers Prime, among many other cartoons) as a speech-giving Marine commandant. However, once I got into the Plant mission, there was just Colonel Campbell, "Snake," and Rose. The reals Sna- I mean, Iroquois Pliskin, didn't show up until a little later - and he slept a lot!

Fortunately, other major characters started showing up, like the bomb expert and Mr. X. So after somersaulting around, slipping in pigeon poop, and icing down a few C4 bombs, I finally decided to take a break. Looking forward to showing/seeing how Jamez reacts to the rest of the game and its zany characters!

TIL that this line originated here.
Oh dear.
(Thankfully, we've already seen footage of Phantom Pain, so Kojima couldn't have pulled a bait-and-switch like last time.)

(Right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment