Thursday, June 30, 2016

Language - On the Tale of a Word

The Weekend:
Recently, I had the privilege of purchasing the popular indie RPG, Undertale. I was suitably heart-warmed and amused, so I decided that I eventually needed to make a video on it. A review would be too obvious and overdone, so I opted to look at some of the music instead. After all, the soundtrack has 100+ tracks, it shouldn't be too hard, right?

Note: spoilers for all routes follow below, maybe. If you haven't played it, then "Escape" or you'll have a bad tEM, etc... etc...

I figured that it would be good to get in another episode of 16ths before I tried making a video with a different focus. Undertale had several short musical cues I could have looked at, but I chose one pretty late in the game. The track is called "Bergentrückung," a short, non-looping track that plays at the beginning of the fight with the Monster King Asgore. Simple procedure: read about the game, the composer, look at the piece in context and in terms of itself. Easy!

Or maybe not.

Almost none of my usual resources helped. The internet search turned up a single Wikipedia page and a few random Reddit posts. The library I was hanging out in had no German books, and none of the books even used the word, or the supposed English translation. Even after emailing an English and music professor, I was still fairly uncertain.

The wikis indicated that it means "king in the mountain," but the online translators showed "mountain rapture." None of the literature or mythology books mentioned it, but the collection was small to begin with.

Monday:
In a fortunate turn of events, a friend of mine (who works at BMW) had some German speaking friends visiting on Sunday. One of them confirmed for me that Bergentrückung does in fact mean "Mountain rapture." I am still at a loss as to how it could be translated as "king in the mountain," or "king under the mountain." Interestingly, her initial word for the second part (entrückung) was something akin to "escape." Both "escape" and "rapture" came up in my initial online search.

No comments:

Post a Comment