Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Gaming Chronicles - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Let's Try This Again

One of my earliest memories of gaming is playing the SNES in my aunt's basement whenever we made the trek all the way to Michigan. For the most part, I played the staples: Super Mario World and Mario Kart. There might have been some Arkanoid thrown in. Eventually, I came to possess that very SNES for my own collection. At some point, I can't remember if it came with the system or if I got it at a later date, I got the game Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

I had tried to play it before now. My problem was, I didn't know where to go. At all. And I kept dying. Seeing that this was just the beginning of the game, the situation presented an impassible situation for me. So, it sat on my shelf, with the other SNES games, going ignored.

Ignored, that is, until now. Thanks to my magnificent mother, I received a 3DS XL for a gift. (Birthday? Christmas? I can't remember now.) Not just any 3DS, though. The Legend of Zelda one, complete with Link Between Worlds. I cannot say enough how amazing that game is. This new game, and a Let's Play done by one of my favorite YouTube channels, lead me to look at my other Zelda games again. One such game was Skyward Sword. Another was A Link to the Past.

Now that I had seen some of the obstacles to come, maybe I was ready. Maybe I could actually beat the game! Well, I wasn't completely wrong. I have managed to get the Lens of Truth and one or two other items. However, I can't, for the life of me, get through Death Mountain!

Other things keep cropping up. I grew accustomed to the fluidity of motion available in Link Between Worlds. I don't expect that from the SNES precursor, so I still struggle to avoid enemies and get around in general.

Maybe I'm just terrible at games? Link Between Worlds is by no means easy, but it's a breeze compared to the likes of the original Zelda and its direct sequel.

Anyway, I'll try again eventually. There's always the save file I can go back to!

No comments:

Post a Comment