Sunday, August 19, 2018

Life - The Rest of SeGE 2018


The second day of the 2018 Southeast Game Exchange concluded a few short hours ago. This time, I managed to make it at opening. There weren't as many people waiting outside to get in, but there was still a decent group of people. I saw a few random people that I remembered seeing the day before. Who knows, I might have run into them at my local video game store too.

The first panel was pretty nice - a guy came in and did two speedruns of Super Mario Bros. 3 for us: any% (no wrong warp), and plain ol' any%. The NWW run was basically what a lot of people had been doing for years - grabbing the two warp whistles and heading straight to World 8. The any% run proper was the cooler one. It features the same opening - grabbing the two whistles - but he then goes to World 7. Then there's some shenanigans with literally writing code in game, and he goes right to the credits. He even had some Pannenkoek-style diagrams to show what was going on under the hood.

Next, there was video game music trivia with some YouTubers, so naturally I had to go. The guy's channel is called NES Addict, so all the selections were from the console. There weren't very many "deep cuts," so I was able to recognize most of them, even if other people got their hands up first. The prizes were just silly McDonald's toys and their logo sticker - there was extra after, so I managed to snag a rare and desirable trophy.

The next next panel was "Reproduction vs Bootleg with BP Retro Power." I'd heard a lot of the stuff he talked about before - the difference was that he had examples of repro boards, among other things, to pass around. We even learned a few ways to tell fake stickers and/or boards from the real thing. It was cool.

After that, I stuck to the main floor for the rest of the day. One of the nice features was some free play consoles, so I tried out a little Cuphead co-op with a kid that was hanging around. We actually managed to get through a vegetable boss, but didn't get far with the next one. There was also Crazy Taxi and Spyro, among others.

My overall "haul" wasn't very big, but decent: an oversized Star Sapphire ring (because it was pink, you see), LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (PS Vita), Mega Man Legacy Collection (3DS), and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS). I even managed to haggle the first and latter games down from $6 to $5, and $15 to $10, respectively. The nice thing about non-store vendors is that ability to try plying them towards the end of the day.

I'm upset at myself, though, because there was a Waluigi amiibo for a decent price, and by the time I got back to it, it was gone. I'm no collector, but that would have been a nice one for my collection (consisting of a retro Mario one.)

Overall, I had a great time at the Southeast Game Exchange, and the $15 two-day pass was definitely worth it. I look forward to next year, and maybe actually having a decent cosplay for once.

Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment