Saturday, April 13, 2019

Math - The Joy of 8

Greetings! Long time no write? Oof. Thanks to my class and work, I'd gotten distracted ... a bit. I should remedy that with musings on some lovely properties of a certain number!

For this past Christmas, I got myself and some of my family members a subscription to The Great Courses Plus. I'd used a trial before and found a ton of stuff that I liked - music, math, literature, etc... I went through almost 3 courses on Calculus. Then, I forgot about it for a while. That is, until recently.

One of the courses is called "The Joy of Mathematics," with a various assortment of "Joy of X," with X being some topic in math. One lecture was titled "The Joy of 9." The basic gist of the lecture was exploring the fact that numbers divisible by 9 (i.e. 81, 171, 1611) were all made up of digits that added up to 9. Crazy, right?

Curious about this, I spent some time making a table of numbers to see what the results for the others were. Actually, I did a dumb my first attempt. I thought "Why not include one at the top?" at the same time that I had the numbers going 1-9 on the side. In the end, my chart was just an overly-complicated way of arriving at a basic times table. Derp.

My big OOF reconstructed
However, I eventually figured out a layout to see the lists of each number, with the corresponding "digital roots" next to each one. I found several interesting patterns, actually.

Tables of Numbers with Patterns - weeee
I found that half of the numbers (2, 4, 5, 7, 1) went through all 9 digits once before repeating that cycle. 3 and 6 were a little more interesting - they repeated "3, 6, 9" and "6, 3, 9" respectively. 1 didn't stray from what you'd expect - even after 9, since 10 gave 1 and the cycle began again. And, of course, 9 gave all 9s.

However, one of them stood out to me - 8. Unlike the other cycles, the digits were in order, but unlike 1, they were descending rather than ascending. It was then I realized another interesting property of counting up numbers - the last digit cycled consistently. On its own, that is a "well, duh" type fact. Of course they're going to repeat eventually, I'm adding the same number every time. But I didn't stop at that.

At the beginning, both the last digit and digital root were the same. Writing out the last digits for the rest, I wondered - when do the last digit and digital root coincide?

After the first time, I found that they coincided at 12*8, 23*8, and 34*8. Also, the order they came in was the same as the pattern for 8's digital roots - 8, 6, 4, 2! (Not factorial, I'm just expressing surprise.) It didn't include the zero of the last digit sequence for obvious reasons. Once I got to 45*8, the pattern started breaking down. The last digit was in fact 0, but the number itself was 360 - nonzero - and thus could not provide the matching digital root.

And that's cool, at least to me. No, it's not a neat, easy fact like "9 is divisible by numbers whose digits equal 9" that can be turned into a neat trick for parties, but it's a cool pattern nonetheless. With a little more time, I could find more points of coincidence between 8's digital roots and its last digits, maybe even try to find another hidden pattern, However, that's all from me for now.

8.

No comments:

Post a Comment