Sunday, June 16, 2013

Business - Blockbuster Buster?

Whenever we (me and mother, usually) drive to the library or stores around that area, we pass by a certain Blockbuster. That Blockbuster never really had a good selection, to my mind. I preferred the one in Mauldin, that had a good video game selection (and was were I got my N64, about when everyone was phasing to Gamecube). The "bad" Blockbuster had recently gone out of business. So too had the Mauldin one, a few years ago. I've also heard that Blockbuster stores are going out of business everywhere. Online sites like Netflix and Amazon video, and rental kiosks like Red Box, are all scooping up customers. For video games, there is Game Stop and many online options.

So what if Blockbuster is going out of business? Online resources mean that there is less process between the customer and the product, and getting stuff faster is good, right? While that is true, it also reflects a growing trend. More services are promoting the diminution of social contact and venturing forth into the world. Also, for good or bad, it is part of a general trend from physical media to digital. I'm not trying to write in a "Everything new is bad, the good old days, blah blah..." but some things must be considered.

First, there is the social aspect. True, going to the store isn't a social occasion in-and-of itself. But it could lead to one. Also, it gets you out of the house, even if for a little bit. During the summer especially, I only get out by going to the store or the library, most days. On the flip side, though, downloadable and streaming content is indeed convenient. Some material may be rare or expensive, such as seasons or episodes of popular television series (like Doctor Who). Also, people who don't socialize anyway probably won't socialize during the brief time they're at the store. Additionally, some larger electronics and department stores in business provide movies and games. So, the social aspect is present, but negligible.

Second, it is among a larger trend of the digitizing of media. Rumors about digital-only video game systems circulated at the beginning of this generation of consoles. Some of those rumors were stopped flatly. The PS Vita, successor to the PSP confirmed some of them. Games seem to be making a general move to digital media. This too seems to be contributing to the decline in the number of stores like Blockbuster, but not to the same degree as the digital movies are. Before we had fast internet, I would have hated the idea of digital-media-only games or systems. Now the idea doesn't seem so bad. I have reservations about DLC, but I've already gotten a digital game (Yes, Minecraft has a Xbox 360 version, but I don't have a 360) and my brother's already downloaded demos and games to his PS3. However, I also enjoy walking around stores like Game Stop and Video Game Cavern. Commenting on the effect on retrogaming is a topic for another article.

Anyway! Blockbuster and similar stores are having a hard time, thanks to video streaming sites. Is it a problem? I don't think so. Netflix may prove a Blockbuster buster, but stores provide several things that the internet cannot. I find it easier to broadly browse in person. Also, you can ask the cashiers and workers about what movie is good, or what game isn't rated too badly (Face-to-face customer service may not be easier than online correspondence, but it is certainly more immediate). Some have conveniently placed refreshments to enjoy with your movie or game. Finally, if they need to clear stock, the sales can be excellent. Whenever I was paid from my Abrakadoodle job a few years ago, I went on a shopping spree at the Mauldin Blockbuster, usually during a sale, and walked away with a lot of good stuff.

I hope that movie stores do not go the way of the dodo. Already, all the Movie Galleries are gone. If they do, I will survive. Game Stop and Amazon would provide for my gaming needs, and I never really did the whole "video rental" game. Nevertheless, there are aspects that I would miss. We'll see what happens, and how things turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment