Thursday, June 20, 2013

Life - For What is Theatre to Me?

"Good, speak to the mariners: fall to't, yarely,
or we run ourselves aground: bestir, bestir."

Thus read (basically) all of my lines from Erskine's production of Shakespeare's The Tempest. My subsequent ventures on stage were all non-speaking parts. That was also the case with a earlier production of Once Upon a Mattress. None of my parts were very big, or important.

So why do it? Why go out for theatre, when even at a small school you get cast as bit parts? Well, not for "the glory." After Mattress, I knew why. Several reasons, actually.

For one, there is the backstage experience. This is a two-fold aspect. First, there is the great social aspect. Second, there is the performance viewing aspect. After rehearsing the play for several weeks, we get to know each other better, if we didn't already. Admittedly, some rehearsals run long and/or boring, especially for people with smaller roles. For me, this detriment was countered by a unique opportunity. I was able to view some of the plays multiple times. True, for the recent one acts I stayed backstage: however, my favorite experience was during Once Upon a Mattress. It was my initial experience with Erskine's theatre, and an early experience with the music department. I was able to hear their dulcimer tones 11 times, not including the later, polished dress rehearsals. It was fun, hanging around backstage, seeing my friends go out and perform.

Also, one becomes a part of a greater whole. Not just the lead actors are important. Being in a smaller role, I could help the production out in other areas, such as set assembly. In the wing, I could watch the show and how everything went together.

Theatre to me is a whole experience. I can act, but I can also watch others act. I can also aid the production get on its feet. Theatre to me is not just acting. Excuse the cliche, but it's an adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment